Thursday, January 24, 2008

H.A.B.I.T.S.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. 1 Corinthians 9:24-27

If I tried to go out this afternoon and run a marathon... I would fail. I could not run 26 miles today even if I was ready to give 110% effort into trying. I know for sure that I would fail because I have not trained to run a marathon. I just physically could not do it.

Often times, in the pursuit of a Godly lifestyle, we set ourselves up for failure or disappointment. We determine that we can become more Godly all of a sudden by giving it all our effort. But most of the time trying is not enough. We need to train by reading God's word and letting Him strengthen us and work in us. It's like deciding one day that you want to be a marathon runner, and then trying to run all 26 miles on the first day. You couldn't do it because you haven't had the proper training. It's not that you CAN'T be a marathon runner, it's that you have to work at it and train diligently to become one. In the same way we need to actively seek out spiritual HABITS in our lives that provide the training we need to live out a life for Christ.

There's a difference between TRYING to live for God, and TRAINING to live for Him.

Join us on Wednesday nights over the next 6 weeks as we talk about spiritual HABITS that you can use in your daily life to grow closer to God.

No comments: